Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cupcake Topper Tutorial: Designing in Picmonkey

I have gotten a few questions about how I used picmonkey to create the cupcake toppers for Peanut's party. So, I have put together a tutorial that hopefully has all the bases covered. If not, I'm always just an email or post comment away so please feel free to ask.


Let's get started!
Picmonkey's web address is www.picmonkey.com
On the homepage you will want to click on create a collage




  • Once there, select layout (2nd icon from top)





  • Under the heading square deal select the set of 9 squares
  • If you wish, you can fill in the squares' background


  • To do so, select the images tab (first icon on left) and then open photo to select an image saved on your computer.
    • Note: For Peanut's toppers I did a google search for orange & white stripes. Saved the image to my computer & then loaded it following the step above.
  • To apply the background color/image. Simply select the uploaded image and drag to the square. You can use the same image multiple times.
  • Once finished, save your collage

Then return to the pic monkey homepage and select edit a photo




  • Upload the collage you just created
  • On the left hand side select overlay (5th from top)
  • Under the heading geometric you will find the circle




  • Select it and then draw a circle centered within one of your background boxes
    • Repeat until all the boxes contain circles
  • If you wish to layer on a dotted circle, that option is located under labels within the overlay tab
    • Repeat the same steps as outlined above




  • To add text select the text tab from the left hand side (4th from top)
  • Click on the font your desire and then the add text box




  • Type in your desired message & alter sizing/color.



  • You will need to repeat this process for each circle/box
  • When you have finished, save your photo.
    • It is important to note that once you have saved the photo, you can not come back and alter the text/colors. So if you think you may want to reuse the background at a later point, it might be wise to save twice. Once before adding the text and then again after.


I opted to print my toppers at Kinkos. I selected a heavy, white card stock and had the image scaled to fit an 8.5x11 sheet.




I then cut them down to strips before punching them out.



I purchased this 2" punch from Michaels for around $6.00 (40% off).



Tip: I found the key was to turn the punch around so you are looking at the bottom. Insert the sheet upside down and this way you will be able to tell exactly where you are cutting.



After I had punched all my circle, I gathered the rest of my supplies: glue gun & small lollipop sticks.



Tip: I found it easier to have the sticks out of the bag and waiting so I could quickly press it into the glue. If I had to fish around inside the plastic bag for a stick, the glue would harden and I ended up with a gap between the punch & the stick.


Once the glue has dried, you've got yourself a cupcake topper.


Linking Up At:

13 comments:

  1. Appreciate the turtorial. I tried to do these by hand and it was a huge job. The punch is a really important tool. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how much work it would be to cut these out by hand. If you make toppers again, send me a link. I would love to see how they turned out!
      Amelia

      Delete
  2. You just made my day! I need to make toppers for a party this weekend! Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how they turn out!
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for the tutorial! I've never used pic monkey before. Looking forward to giving it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picmonkey is great especially if you don't have photoshop ( I don't).

      Delete
  5. Yum! Very creative :) Easter greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you SO much! This was extremely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this amazing tutorial!! I just tried a couple of designs to use for my cupcake business and it was perfect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice Design !!
    Love handmade stuffs
    great work ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. why do you bother with the background in the squares if you just punch out the circle? isn't that a waste of time and ink? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking...by coloring the background square you achieve a layered look for your circle. The larger your circle punch (or smaller your inner circle) the more that outer ring is visible.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! I love reading each of them. Have a great one.