Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Art for the Family Room

If you've been following the blog for a while, you might have caught on to the fact that I was not blessed with a single artistic bone in my body. In fact, the only time I ever cheated in all of my school career was in 7th grade art class. The art teacher took pity on my horrific skills and allowed me to take my assignment home to complete. My best friend at the time however was a fabulous artist, in fact she currently makes a living painting you can check out her site here, and completed the masterpiece on my behalf. Sad but true.

Lately though I've been drawn to the use of abstract artwork in traditional home decor (all images from my pinterest living room board)




And I am in love with the beauty by Kerry Steele on etsy. But at price tag of $1,550 I had to figure out a way to recreate the look for my price point….free.



Thanks to my hoarding tendencies I had the perfect 30x30 canvas sitting in the basement. After painting over the existing black & white flower image, I was left with a clean slate & I just went to town dripping, painting & splattering various shades of gray, taupe & blue onto the canvas.

And here is what I ended up with:



And a close up

I think it turned out pretty decent. I'm still toying with the idea of adding gold leaf like one of the inspiration pictures above. And I am set on getting rid of the brown accent wall & probably painting the fireplace brick…it all reads too orange to me. Any thoughts? Are you a painted brick fan? Well I've gotta run…sick baby is crying…fingers crossed his fever goes away soon. Isn't it suppose to be summer!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! I love reading each of them. Have a great one.