Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Fireplace Reveal & Family Room Updates

If you have followed the blog for awhile, you'll recall that I was never a fan of the orange brick fireplace in our family room. I tried to work around the color attempting to tone it down with accent walls & accessories until I finally faced the fact that it had to go. So when Hubby went out of town for business, I got to work tackling the fireplace. Despite the job being much larger than I anticipated, I am loving the transformation. Before it was just too dated, brown and boring. Now we a have classic, sophisticated & bright focal point that draws you in and flows perfectly with the adjoining kitchen.


If you are curious as to the process, I've got a detailed post on exactly how I created the "greige wash" look lined up for you all next week. Today's post is all about the fluff….so without further ado onto the eye candy.

To really appreciate the changes, cast your memory back to what the space use to look like. And if you're curious click here to check out the floral stencils that adorned the walls when we moved in. It was very reminiscent of the Laura Ashley wallpaper boarder I had in my childhood bedroom. You can read into that how ever you wish;)

So here was my attempt to work with the natural brick:


And here is what the room looks like now, much more refined and relaxing.


I switched out the mirror over the fireplace.  It now occupies the prime real estate to the side of the fireplace both balancing the ridiculously enormous television in the opposite corner and helping to raise your eye & carry it around the room. (Side note: Hubby's only request was for a large television and we were graciously gifted the set by his folks. In a house of 3 males, I would rather decorate around a large TV than have them disappearing to the basement. After all this house has to function for all of us.)



Over the fireplace I hung my DIY artwork. It is place holder until I am able to commission a piece of Kerry Steele's beautiful work for myself.  Slowly but surely I am liking my piece more and more, despite the scale being too small. Who knows what will eventually hang here. That's one of the things I love about my home; spaces are always evolving.


As for mantel accessories, two of the three blue and white pieces were on there prior to the makeover.



The covered ginger jar I bought at Hobby Lobby for a whopping $15, while the white and blue crested containers were rescued from my basement storage. The topiaries use to flank my kitchen window, but suite the fireplace better and help draw your eye upward.


The rug and coffee table were also swapped out as I subbed them with their counterparts in the living room. The rug is a much more neutral backdrop and the coffee table provides greater play and serving space. The impetus for the swap came when I found Bear picking & attempting to consume both the foam core & pleather upholstery on the round ottoman…not a proud parenting moment.


The couch didn't remain untouched either. I opted to reattach the chaise lounge for added seating and comfort. I also removed many of the pillows to give a more serene feeling to the space. I am weighting my options as to what I would like to add back. Any suggestions? I was thinking something with navy…perhaps another set of fretwork pillows.



I also added our computer armoire to the back corner where the kiddies' play table use to reside. It is a simple Ikea piece we brought over from our old house. Once we moved, I used it to house my jewelry and purses in the master. Now that the littles use the computer I wanted to relocate it from the office to a space where it would be visible to my eyes. Plus the kiddies are constantly clicking on the wrong applications so having the computer steps away from the kitchen makes it easy to resolve problems while still cooking dinner.



And my beloved horse and more blue & white pottery accessorize the armoire.  I picked up 2 sets of blue and white pottery and I just can't decide which pair I prefer. Care to cast a vote?  Safety note: the horse it fastened to the top of the armor to prevent accidental tipping.



Finally, the two leather club chairs now sit in front of the bank of windows opposite the couch.
I absolutely love this new layout as it places the emphasis on conversation not just television viewing (it has actually been like this since Christmas but I don't think I've officially shared the space with you all). And if you've got eagle eyes you can see that I've added fringe trim to the drapes as well helping pull the blue around the room. I was toying with adding a greek key tape to the edges, but decided to give this remnant trim a test run (it was leftover from the living room valances).



So that is the family room's new look. And just to keep it real, here is where the family portion comes into play.





Yes, the room can read a little more formal than most family rooms, but it is still super functional and kid friendly.



And here is the remainder of the family room check list:
  • Update family pictures over couch
  • Add pillows possibly
  • Accessorize kids table & coffee table
  • Upholster armoire bench (I have a great piece that was in my house as a child).
  • Find a fireplace screen
By the time I have it all done, I'll be rearranging for the holidays.
C'est la vie!

Linking up to Thrift Decor Chick: July Before & After Party; StoneGable; Savvy Southern Style

23 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the fireplace!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an AMAZING job with this! It looks beyond beautiful. I am tempted to try this out on our 'orange' faux rock on our fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah…It was quite an easy process just time consuming.

      Delete
  3. Love all of the updates and changes and the fireplace turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with it. Thanks for the sweet comments.

      Delete
  4. Great transformation. It looks so much better with the wash and I really like the new furniture arrangement too. Very pretty. I would love for you to link up to my ongoing party - Inspire Me. - --http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/172nd-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Just came over after you left me a comment about my art work. Your email isn't attached to your profile so I could answer your question for you. Anyway, thank you! I created all the art you see in both of our homes. I'm happy to chat more about creating something for you!

    Also, new to your blog and I love what you've done with this mantle. Such a difference. Love that's it's not just white. What a fun change. And all that blue and white is divine. Especially the topiaries. My fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for bringing that to my attention Julia.

      Delete
  6. Your fireplace turned out wonderful! What a difference! I also love the new furniture arrangement! Those leather chairs are gorgeous!~~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the fireplace turned out! It looks so pretty with the blue and white too! The whole room looks so pulled together now. It's funny, I tackle certain projects when my husband goes out of town too - especially the ones that I am not sure he would want me to do! Luckily, when he sees the finished project, he is usually happy with it! Great job!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one switching things up when Hubby is away.

      Delete
  8. It looks so nice and Bright! Did you think of getting a bigger painting above the fireplace or maybe put that mirror back where it was before? Nice job!

    Dina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will eventually replace the picture with a larger version.

      Delete
  9. First,I was surprised that I actually liked the wash. I liked the brick the way it was so I was not keen on your painting it but WOW! It really works. The whole place seems so much calmer and comfortable. I would not add anymore pillows. The clean, open feeling is very relaxing. How did you fasten that horse? It looks heavy, or is it light? In my opinion, skip the matchy, matchy pottery on each side of the horse--stay with what you have (one of each). Thank you for showing us so many neat ways that we can make our homes uniquely ours!

    Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horse is attached with a double sided 3m tape…it has a foam core and is intended for a stronger bond.

      Delete
  10. Oh one more thing. Go to a second hand shop, find the size canvas that works and cover it with Gesso. It is a white product that allows you to paint over a previously used canvas. And don't pay anyone else--trust yourself. Create something on your own. It will make you proud to see it over the mantel!

    Paige again

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a transformation! The greige wash is absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I have a dull red, boring, brick fireplace in my living room - ugh! Nothing stands out up there - pictures/mirror/Christmas wreath. I'm single and scared to bite off more than I can chew, but I REALLY want to try ti.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where did you get the chandelier? Live that too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim-

      It is from Ballard Designs and gives off ample light. I am toying with the idea of painting it though.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! I love reading each of them. Have a great one.